Exhibits for Exploring!
Come explore and find out what tens of thousands of students have discovered on their field trips since the Center opened in January 2000.
The John McConnell Math & Science Center of Western Colorado is filled with interactive displays and exhibits dealing with many science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) concepts. This is a place for kids of all ages to explore science and math: to touch, turn, look, listen, feel, pull, adjust, try out, and question.
- Come and interact with our sandbox and discover how erosion affects the landscape.
- Stop by and see if you recognize any of our birds from your own yard.
- Come see fish from the Amazon River.
- Discover the Solar System with our Interactive Planetarium.
- Learn about different types of radiation and what it does to you.
- Come learn about honey bees! Search for the queen, witness how bees "talk" to each other, see honey in the making, and learn how each bee has an important job to keep the hive running smoothly!
- Come be part of a human gyroscope and learn how they are used to navigate ships and rockets!
- Did you know that bubbles come together in 120 degree angles? When one bubble pops, others pop or shift to maintain that geometry. Can you think of another structure in nature that follows this stabilizing pattern?
- "I've got my eye on you!"
- Learn about gears and common machines driven by them.
- Gain a new perspective when exploring with several of our high-powered microscopes.
- Our second room includes a live beehive, a Van de Graaff generator, our brand new radioactivity display and so much more!
- Here's what you'll see in our first room as you come through the door.
- Did you know plasma is the 4th state of matter?
- See how solar panels generate electricity to power your home!
- Did you know that in 1884 there were over 200 time zones in the United States alone?
- Here's a water bug as seen from our underwater bug-cam that YOU can use to to study our water creatures more closely.